Tuesday, December 28, 2010

My New Project for 2011

"Like a musician, an artist needs to practice every day and a sketchbook is an ideal place to work on your observational and drawing skills. In time you will learn to select and simplify so that you can encapsulate an attitude, a pose or a movement in a few lines. Sketching regularly also improves visual memory and manaul dexterity, enabling you to make accurate and rapid records of the subjects that interest you." Albany Wiseman, The Artist's Sketchbook

I know the benefits of keeping a sketchbook and drawing more and every year I resolve to start a sketchbook. One year I did about 10 sketches, one year I had a calendar with big areas for each day...a perfect place for a daily sketch...I got to Day 5 and stopped. This year my goal is to stick with it and sketch every day. I paint just about every day but I don't make time to do a quick sketch. I decided that by posting my daily drawing to a blog I would be held accountable to my goal. So welcome to my new blog! Here's the twist... I want you to join me. I know you are aware of the benefits of sketching more and I know you want to....so why not join me! I intend to make it fun with weekly challenges, themes, new techniques, inspiring information. I'll invite you to share your progress on the blog as well. So what are you waiting for? Get a new sketchbook and some pencils and get ready to sketch! We will start on January 1st.

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like great fun, Karen! I have tons of sketchbooks started with good intentions! It is such a treat to get a new sketchbook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your project very much and I'm in....
    I have a lot of sketchbooks and I like playing with my colors, my pencils or anything that comes to mind.
    Exchange ideas with other people seems really challenging... waiting to start, I wish you a new year full of joy, love and creations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Patricia. I know I said I would use one of my emptyl sketchbooks but if I were to see a new one.....I would be tempted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mariela and welcome! I think that we can keep each other motivated to draw everyday. I'm glad to have you join me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Karen,
    I love your idea and would like to be part of it too. I also make a lot of value studies, but often in watercolour and gouache as well as markers. I have been thinking a lot lately about a daily routine of sketching as well as painting…so why don’t we do it (lol)….
    It was your 'Miles of Canvas' that inspired me to start my One Hundred Washes Challenge blog.
    I am looking forward to your sketching blog. A very Happy and creative New Year to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen,
    Count me in for this. For two years fI've been saying I would draw more, only to draw less. Thanks for inviting us to join you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen,
    Happy New Year! I will join you in this project. There are so many blank pages in my sketchbooks that I would love to fill.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maggie,
    Thanks for the kind words! I love your work and I am glad to have you join me! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome Paula! We'll have a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome Elaine! Glad to have you join us!

    ReplyDelete